In August of 1997 the two school communities of Lafayette and St. Mary of the Knobs came together to form the new Floyds Knobs Elementary School. These two schools had histories of being recognized in the upper twenty-fifth percentile in the State of as being outstanding schools. They have both been designated as Four Star Schools noted for high standardized test scores, high Language Arts and Math scores, and high attendance rates.
Floyds Knobs Elementary is situated on approximately 15 acres. In addition to regular classroom teachers, there is an Art teacher, a Music teacher, a Physical Education teacher, two Special Education Resource teachers, and a full time Counselor. There are five custodians, five cooks, five office personnel and several instructional assistants.
Floyds Knobs Elementary has a gymnasium, cafetorium, music room, art room, two computer labs, distance learning lab, two educational resource rooms, library media center, special services offices, conference areas, amphitheater, and multipurpose rooms. There are also five playgrounds and elevator services. The entire building is handicapped accessible.
School Improvement Goals
To improve reading comprehension and vocabulary skills so 90% of FKE students consistently score above standard in language arts on the ISTEP test.
To improve writing skills so 90% of FKE students consistently score above standard in language arts on the ISTEP test.
To meet the unique academic needs of all students. To increase the level of respect displayed by students.
Achievements & Service Projects
We are so proud of our students and all the hard work they put into their activities!
- Speech Contest
- National Geographic Geography Bee – qualified for State (2010/2011)
- The Floyd County Soil and Water Conservation District Poster contest Winner – (2010/2011)
- Destination Imaginaton (DI)- 2nd place local competition, qualified for state competition (2009/2010), participated (2010/2011)
- Summer Reading Program
- Spell Bowl – semi-finalist (2010/2011)
- Math Bowl – 1st place (2012/2013)
- Indiana History Day in Indiana – won medals at State (2010/2011)
- Science Fair
- A huge thanks for all the volunteer hours and the generosity of our FKE family along with our students’ willingness to help others!
- Jump Rope for Heart
- Relay for Life (American Cancer Society)
- Reading Rodeo
- Adopt-a-Family Salvation Army
- Salvation Army Canned Food Drive
- Secret Angel
- Blessings in a Backpack
- St. Jude’s Talent Show